Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Swimming with a broken collarbone

An athlete I know broke her collarbone a few weeks ago, 9 weeks before an Ironman. She educated me on some of the things you can do in the water without a fully functioning clavicle.

To be honest these drills won't have a great impact in getting you much faster before the race but it must be psychologically satisfying to get in the water and do some laps.

Front Sculling and Underwater Recovery:

Both techniques I give to my athletes to improve the catch phase of the freestyle stroke:



One Arm Freestyle (with the injured arm by the side):





Kick and Body Position Drills:



While the gains in fitness might be limited you can definitely, with a bit of persistence, maintain and even improve your feel of the water with these drills.

Let me know your experience if you've ever had a broken collar bone.

2 comments:

Paul Murphy said...

Hello, I broke my collar bone young. It's has never cause me problems until the swimming prep for the Ironman, because it seems to requires some freestyle swimming at high intensity for an hour or so to qualify for the championships. I think the small change in angle makes it a little more difficult for the joints of the collar bone in sternum and shoulder to remain inline. Like a bracket of a hydraulic arm that is bent.

Anonymous said...

I've only slightly strained my collarbone.I swim 4 to 5 times a week at low intensity (prior to the collarbone strain).
Thanks for the input,
It gives me some ideas on how to manage my recovery and still lap swim🤙