Thursday, November 22, 2012

Columbus Turkey Trot Results 2012: Close to Sub-30.

Thanksgiving brought me to Columbus, Ohio for a repeat of last years 5-mile Thanksgiving Day Columbus Turkey Trot. Beautiful, windless 40 degree temps greeted us at the start. I'd learned my lesson from last year and didn't want to get fooled by the easy gradual downhill of the 1st mile. This year I planned to hold back until mile 3.



The last mile was still tough but I think I paced it a little better. My breathing got out of control a couple of times in the last few miles which kicked me back 5-10m each time from whomever I was running with at the time and probably cost me a sub-30min 5-mile which is what I was aiming for. Full results here I passed the line had me in 30:04, 4th in the 30-39 age group.


Dale, Hayden and I before the Columbus Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning

My father-in-law, Dale Van Kley, accompanied me and was unceremoniously tripped at mile 1. Apparently it gets pretty congested in the middle of the pack despite the wide roads. Despite it all Dale finished 3rd in the 70-74 age group improving on his time from last year.

No comments: